Our latest feast

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Boiled Pineapple Fruit Cake

Not many of you may know this quirky fact about me, in fact there are many things I have not disclosed LOL!!!  This fact however was very pivotal my teenage years.  I grew up living on a golf course... yep a golf course.  My parents were caretakers by night, which meant we lived on the golf course and looked after the property outside of business hours.

The golf course itself was an 18 hole public golf course complete with a historic homestead, our house, a golf shop and a cafe.  My mam worked in the cafe which was perfect as she walked out the back gate and into her workplace.

One of the cakes that was baked at Sandringham Golf Course's cafe was a  Pineapple Boiled Fruit Cake and it was always a star in the cake cabinet. No fancy icing or decorations just fruit cake, moist, sweet and delicious and well enjoyed by many a golfer.

I decided to make recreate this cake... I did actually have the original recipe once but it has been misplaced somewhere in my travels so here is my take on what I can remember.


Boiled Pineapple Fruit Cake

Serves: 12 - 16

150 grams butter, coarsely cubed
1 cup brown sugar
440 grams can crushed pineapple
500 grams mixed dried fruit
100 grams candied cherries, chopped
2 tablespoons brandy
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup flour
1 cup self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius or 150 degrees Celsius fan forced.

Grease a 20 cm round cake tin and line the base with nonstick baking paper.

Place butter, sugar, pineapple and juice in a saucepan, then stir until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Stir in dried fruit and brandy and simmer gently for 3 minutes. Remove to a bowl to completely cool.

Stir in the eggs.

Then stir in the flours, baking soda and spices, sifted together.

Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and smooth the surface.

Bake for 1½ hours or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.

Cool cake in the tin before turning out.


(Click here for a printable version of this recipe)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this recipe, it's reminded me of a fruitcake I used to make with crushed pineapple - cant believe i'd forgotten it! cgeers, Maree

Jo said...

Hi Maree, I had forgotten about this little gem also.... it was so nice to bake and smell the sweeter aroma not to mention eat it and my kids loved it as well. Enjoy baking xxx

dentalcare said...

Excellent! Very clever idea. They must be super tasty. Bookmarking your page and can't wait to try this :D more information here