Our latest feast

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Pea and Ham Soup

Pea and Ham Soup would have to be my favourite after product from Christmas... made with the ham bone and what remaining ham is on it, it is definitely one of my favourite soups and I must say would top my "comfort" food list.

I remember as a child my mother making this soup every year after Christmas and it was always something that I looked forward to. In fact anytime my mam made this I looked forward to it. This year she has made this batch for me and I have to say I follow mam's recipe everytime I make it.

Not only is this a soup full of flavour and taste it is quite easy to make even though it does take a fair amount of time. Time that is well worth spending on making this soup.



Pea and Ham Soup
(Recipe courtesy of my Mam)

Serves: 12
Points per serve: 4.5

1 ham bone
1 brown onion, diced
2 litres water
salt
pepper
2 brown onions
2 carrots
2 sticks of celery
1 kilogram green split peas
additional water, if required

Cut the majority of the ham off the bone and set aside.

In a large saucepan place ham bone, onion and water. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and then reduce heat, simmering for 1 hour. Allow to cool.

Once cool drain bone from stock - keep all the stock in a large saucepan. Remove any meat from the bone that comes off easily. Add ham pieces.

In a food processor, chop onions, carrots and celery until finely chopped. Add to stock along with split peas. Bring to the boil and simmer for several hours until peas are softened and soup is thick.

If soup is too thick add small amounts of water until desired consistancy is reached.

1 comment:

Chef E said...

One of my favorite soups of all time! I finally made a version of it recently, yours looks great!