Our latest feast

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Jamaican BBQ Chicken

I love experimenting with marinades and we also are the proud owners of a new coal barbecue with we are loving to experiment with also. Needless to say tonight's dish was brought to you buy "experiments!"

I have always yearned to visit Jamaica and the flavours of any food from the Carribbean has always intrigued me... normally the tastes are a balanced blend between spicy and sweet but it's always a taste that leaves your mouth happy, sometimes wanting much more and more importantly leave you with a pleasant memory of that dish.

This dish did exactly that.... excited the mouth and the tastebuds, had a great aftertaste and I know I will talk about this one in the future so therefore leaving me a great memory.

It's not a traditional Jamaican recipe, I can claim this as my own but I did stick in line with many of the ingredients used in Jerk Chicken, although I just added a few of my own desired bits and pieces.


Jamaican BBQ Chicken

Serves: 8
Points per serve: 7

4 small chickens
1 onion, peeled
4 garlic cloves, peeled
2 teaspoons grated ginger
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
pinch nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons crushed chilli
1/2 cup fresh coriander
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup rum
1/4 cup olive oil
juice of 2 limes

Cut chickens in half using chicken scissors, clean and towel dry.

In a food processor add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth and combined.

Place chickens in a snap lock bag or large casserole dish and pour over marinade. Place in the refrigerator and leave for 4 hours or overnight if time permits.

Heat a bbq grill and brush with oil. Cook chickens 5 - 8 minutes each side or until no longer pink and cooked to your liking, basting with remaining marinade several times.

2 comments:

DailyChef said...

Yum! Thanks for the recipe! I love Caribbean flavors!

Velva said...

Your caribbean jerk chicken looks really good. You did a great job. I love jerk spices. A fellow food blogger A Year on the Grill, just did a post about Jerk spices and it was really good. He even posted an excellent recipe to make your own jerk spice.