Our latest feast

Friday, September 4, 2009

Chicken, Capsicum and Tomato Quesadillas

Having had a delicious roast chicken the night before I needed to find something to do with the left over chicken meat.

Confession time: many of you don't know this of me but I hate having the same thing two nights in a row, freezing it for lunches or quick meals is okay, but never eating it again the next night. While this doesn't bother others in our house it does bother me!

I have read on a few blogs about Quesadillas. We don't frequent Mexican restaurants that often and have only really eaten the more commonly known Mexican dishes such as tacos, burritos, enchiladas, chilli, etc., so I have to say that the Quesadillas have intrigued me for some time now. Especially the mouthwatering Quesadilla recipes over at Closet Cooking and For the Love of Cooking..... do yourself a flavour favour and have at look at both these sites.

Anyway my mind was made up to have a go at making these so here is my take on this dish, one which I must say I really enjoyed and cannot wait to experiement a little more with flavours and fillings.


Chicken, Capsicum and Tomato Quesadillas

Serves: 2
Points per serve: 5.5

2 light tortillas
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoons taco seasoning
60 grams cooked chicken meat
1/2 tomato, diced
1/4 red capsicum, diced
1/4 red onion, finely sliced
60 grams low fat tasty cheese, grated
handful fresh coriander leaves

Combine tomato paste and taco seasoning and mix well. Spread evenly over one tortilla. Top with chicken, tomato, capsicum, red onion and grated cheese. Top with other tortilla.

Heat a frying pan over high heat and spray with cooking spray. Reduce to low heat. Gently place quesadilla into the frying pan and cook for 3 - 5 minutes or until golden.

Flip quesadilla over ( I used a plate and then slid it back into the frying pan) and cook for a further 3 - 5 minutes or until golden and cheese has melted.

Cut into triangles and serve.

(click here for a printable version of this recipe)

4 comments:

redkathy said...

Quesadillas are so versatile. Your look divine!

Ally (Mt Eliza) said...

that looks great.... i make these by using one tortilla and folding it in half and then cooking in the cafe sandwich press... saves flipping it over. :0)

LellyJ said...

Spending time in the US as a teenager means I am a big fan of quesadillas!! Sometimes when we are camping a buy a bbq chook and a few packs of tortillas, shredded cheese and taco sauce . . . et voila (or whatever that is in Spanish) dinner!!

My favourite way to do quesadillas is as a "nibble"--with roasted pumpkin, chopped coriander and cheese. Cut it in wedges and serve with a salsa made of finely diced avocado, lime, coriander and chili. Yummy!

PPS Thanks for the address of American food store, I think I feel a trip coming on in the school holidays. Will probably come back with loads of Dr Pepper and Reeses Peanut butter cups, not to mention Hershey's kisses!

Arlene Delloro said...

I love quesadillas...panini...sammies..whatever the particular cuisine calls them. Yours look yummy. I love goat cheese with fig jam and pear slices.