Our latest feast

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Italian Chicken Casserole

Having the thought of using my slow cooker more than just for cooking curries stuck in my head for the last few days I thought I would pull it out of the cupboard, dust it off and make our dinner in it.
.
The slow cooker must be one of the most easy to use and useful appliance that one could own. Everything goes in, it gets turned on and then hours later a one-pot dinner is ready. My slow cooker is very old as it was my mother's and it is apparantly older than my sister, who is turning 32 years old this year. I often think it is time to upgrade but this one works well for the time being.
.
Anyway before leaving for work I loaded up my ingredients for my dinner creation, set the slow cooker to low, left for work knowing that when I got home all I would need to do was to boil some pasta to serve with the Italian Chicken Casserole that would be ready.
.
And on that note I must say that the house smelt wonderful when I opened the front door armed with a late edition of a fresh crusty french stick!
.

Italian Chicken Casserole
.
Serves: 6
Points per serve: 4 pts
.

6 chicken thighs, skin removed
1 onion, diced
1 green capsicum, largely diced
1/2 cup black olives, pitted
1 tablespoon dried oregano
200g mushrooms, quartered
2 x 400g tinned diced tomatoes
1/2 cup water
2 tbs cornflour
salt and pepper to taste

.
Place chicken, onion, capsicum, olives, mushrooms, organo, and tomatoes into slow cooker.
.
Depending on time, cook on low for 6 - 8 hours or on high 4 - 6 hours.
.
Remove chicken pieces to a plate. Combine water and cornflour together, stir through casserole. Add salt and pepper to taste. Return chicken to slow cooker and turn up to high for 30 minutes allowing sauce to thicken.
,

1 comment:

Kate said...

This looks great! Thanks for commenting on my blog, I had no idea I had readers from so far away!

I honestly don't know how my friend made the header though, sorry! I think she has a special program. I'll look into it for you.