Our latest feast

Friday, December 27, 2013

Pineapple, Lime and Coconut Cake

Ok so again another apology for the lack of blogging....

I know that I haven't been blogging of late but we have just been seriously "out of control" busy! My work has been complete madness with many nights staying in motels leaving Noel and the kids to look after themselves.

The year is drawing to a close and there is end in sight for the madness.  Needless to say I am going to take a little time today to catch up on some things that I have cooked in the fleeting days of being at home... being a wife to my incredibly supportive husband, Noel, and a mother to my two wonderfully rounded yet quirky at times children, Oliver and Alex - instead of a career lady.

Strange as this sounds, I actually do need to sit, relax and allow the creative side of me roam free.  I adore nothing more than cooking and eating, and then of course there is the blogging side of my life where I enjoy sharing all of our culinary adventures with those that take the time to read our blog.

With that said please enjoy my catch up blogs and with determination I will endeavour to be a little more regular in the future.......

This cake is a perfect recipe to start off with.  A deliciously light sweet treat which I will put my hand up and admit that the flavour combination of the sweet pineapple and tangy lime is incredible. 

Topped with a cream cheese frosting and sprinkled with toasted shredded coconut each slice was like a little piece of paradise.


Pineapple, Lime and Coconut Cake
(recipe sourced from WW Magazine November 2013)
 
Serves: 12
ProPoints per serve: 6
 
cooking spray
100 grams reduced fat margarine
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 teaspoons finely grates lime rind
2 eggs
440 gram can crushed pineapple in natural juice
2 cups self raising flour
200 grams extra light cream cheese
1 tablespoon icing sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon coconut essence
1 tablespoon shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.

Lightly spray a 20cm round cake tin with cooking spray and line the base with baking paper.

Using electric beaters, beat the margarine, sugar and lemon rind in a bowl until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.

Drain the pineapple and reserve 1/2 cup of the juice.  Stir the pineapple and reserved pineapple juice into the egg mixture.  Gently fold in the flour.  Spoon into prepared tin. 

Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.  Set aside to stand in tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Combine the cream cheese, icing and coconut essence in a bowl. Spread over the cake and sprinkle with the coconut.


(click here for a printable version of this recipe)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo. I made this cake yesterday, and you're right - it is delicious. Thanks for posting.