Our latest feast

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Potato, Onion and Bacon Bake

Once again travelling for work has seen me away from home and not cooking.  As always I love coming home and catching up of my favourite and enjoyable hobby!

I wanted to cook something different as a side dish.  I have always liked the look of Jannson's Temptation, a traditonal Swedish potato casserole, but not fussed on one ingredient - anchovies!!  I am not a fan but saying that I also have purposely not eaten one for years.  Maybe I will like then now as I know that my tastebuds have changed.  I now like oysters and mussels and am willing to give smoked salmon again.... who knows??

This potato bake was created with Jannson's Temptation in mind but we added onions and bacon to the potato.  It was very easy to make.  Overall it had a very "comfort food" feel about it and was enjoyed by all.


Potato, Onion and Bacon Bake

Serves: 8
ProPoints per serve: 5

cooking spray
175 grams Weight Watchers Bacon, thickly sliced
6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into batons
1 brown onion, sliced
300 mls reduced fat thickened cream
1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.

Spray a frying pan with cooking spray and cook bacon for 2 - 3 minutes until slight crisp.  Remove from heat and drain on paper towel.
Spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray.

Combine potatoes, onions and bacon in a large bowl.  Place mixture into casserole dish.

In a small jug combine cream, stock powder, parsley and pepper to taste.  Pour over potato mixture.
Cover casserole dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.  Remove foil and bake for a further 20 - 30 minutes until potatoes are cooked through and golden on top.

(Click here for a printable version of this recipe)

No comments: