Our latest feast

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Hokkien Mee with Beef

You have probably all gathered by now that we really enjoy stir fry style meals. I guess I love the fact that they can be made crammed with vegetables and the sauce can be any flavour you are fancying. Not to mention that most stir fries are quick to cook once you have all the ingredients prepared and ready.

I was fancying a noodle dish and I am quite partial to the Hokkien Mee you can purchase in Noodle Bars here. Although I tend to get the chefs to spice it up and add more vegetables… but that’s me.

Here is my take on Hokkien Mee which I have made using beef strips that I marinated for a short while and I also used Wokka Fresh Noodles instead of dried noodles. I have to say that my whole family liked my version of this classic noodle dish.


Hokkein Mee with Beef

Serves: 6
ProPoints per serve: 11

700 grams lean beef strips
1 tablespoon brandy
1 tablespoon soy sauce
½ teaspoon crushed chilli or chilli paste
½ teaspoon sesame oil
cooking spray
880 grams Wokka Thin Hokkien Fresh Noodles
1 onion, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
¼ cup water
½ red capsicum, sliced
½ green capsicum, sliced
100 grams button mushrooms, sliced
½ cup hoisin sauce
¼ cup white wine
1 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 tablespoon mango chutney
200 grams snow peas, trimmed and halved

Place brandy, soy sauce, chilli and sesame oil in a medium bowl and mix well. Add beef strips, stir to combine and allow to stand for 30 minutes or longer if time permits.

Meanwhile prepare noodles as per directions on packet.

Spray a large wok with cooking spray and heat over high heat. In batches add beef strips and marinade and toss quickly until beef is just sealed. Remove from heat. Repeat with remaining beef strips.

Respray wok and add onion, carrot and water, stirfry for 3 – 4 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Add capsicums and mushrooms and stir fry for a further 3 – 4 minutes.

Mix together hoisin sauce, white wine, sweet chilli sauce, curry powder and mango chutney is a small jug. Mix well.

Drain noodles and add to the wok. Add combined sauces and stir to combine well. Return beef to the wok along with the snow peas. Stir through to heat through. Serve immediately.

(click here for a printable version of this recipe)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YUM! This looks really good. :)