Our latest feast

Monday, July 13, 2009

Veal Cutlets with Mustard Sauce

Out of all the cuts of veal I would have to say that we all enjoy the cutlets the best - a bit like a beef rib eye. A thicker cut of meat but still very tender. When I tell Alexandria, our 8 year old, we are having veal cutlets she always asks if that is the "fluffy cushion" meat?? LOL!!

Normally I just pan fry the veal and serve with a seperate sauce for example blue cheese or creamy mushroom but tonight I thought it was time to try something different and I really fancied experimenting with mustard for some unknown reason! I have to say that I am glad that I did.


Veal Cutlets with Mustard Sauce

Serves: 4
Points per serve: 6

4 Veal Cutlets, 200g each
3 tablespoons dijon mustard
freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup dry white wine
cooking spray
1 cup water
1 teaspoon chicken stock powder

Place veal cutlets in a shallow dish or a snap lock bag. Mix together the mustard, pepper, olive oil and wine until well combine. Pour over the cutlets and allow to marinade for at least 30 minutes, longer if time permits.

Heat a large non stick frying pan and spray with cooking spray. Remove the cutlets reserving remainder of the marinade. Fry cutlets 3 - 4 minutes eash side or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate to allow to rest.

Meanwhile return pan to stovetop, add the combined water and stock powder to deglaze the pan, scrapping while stirring over a high heat. Add the reserved marinade and mix well. Allow to boil and reduce by half.

Serve with the cutlets.

(Click here for a printable copy of this recipe)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I only have chicken cutlets in the house but I think this will work beautifully with them. A great combination of flavors.