Our latest feast

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Springtime Veal Stew

I know that you all already know that I love using my slow cooker not matter what time of year it is but as the year goes on I do get bored with using tomatoes and or red wine as the sauce base.

I must admit that when I saw this recipe I had to try it as the concept of adding cream in the last 10 minutes of cooking intrigued me. The fact that this recipe was simple also helped and any vegetables can be used. And I must say that I was glad I tried, it was really nice to have a meat dish with a creamy sauce, it made such a pleasant change. Best of all though, everyone ate it and said they enjoyed it!

Now that I have cooked this once I will look for ways to make it more weight-friendly, I already have adjusted the recipe a little but there is still room for improvement. I am sure that this dish would also work well with lamb, replacing the thyme with rosemary.


Springtime Veal Stew
(recipe adapted from Essentials of Slow Cooking)

Serves: 6

1 kilogram veal, diced
salt
freshly ground black pepper
cooking spray
1 onion, finely diced
80g ham, diced finely
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup water
1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
1 tablespoon dried thyme
4 carrots, peeled and diced
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut in 2 cm pieces
1 red capsicum, diced into 2 cm cubes
1 cup frozen baby peas
1 cup lite thickened cream

Season veal cubes with salt and pepper. Spray a frying pan with cooking spray and cook veal in batches until browned and sealed completely. Set aside.

To the same pan add the onions and ham and saute over medium heat for 2 minutes. Pour in the wine and deglaze the pan, scraping up the browned bits with a wooden spoon. Stir in the combined water and chicken stock and bring to the boil.

SLOW COOKER: Transfer the veal and the juices to a slow cooker. Sprinkle with thyme. Add the stock mixture. Cover and cook until the veal is very tender, 2 1/2 hours on high setting or 5 1/2 hours on low. Add the carrots and capsicum, cover and cook for a further 30 - 40 minutes until they are almost tender. Add the asparagus and peas and continue to cook, covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 15 - 20 minutes. Stir in the cream and cook until the sauce is heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

STOVE TOP: Transfer the veal and the juices to a large dutch oven. Sprinkle with thyme. Add the stock mixture. Cover and cook over a very low heat for 1 1/2 hours. Add the carrots and capsicum, cover and cook for a further 30 - 40 minutes until they are almost tender. Add the asparagus and peas and continue to cook, covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 15 - 20 minutes. Stir in the cream and cook until the sauce is heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GIVEAWAY RESULT


Before I forget I have to announce my Giveaway winner.... thanks to all those that stopped by and left a comment sharing your favourite "local" food or dish. I have to say it was a hard decision to make as two of the "local" dishes were really tempting my tastebuds.

The winner of the 5 Womans Weekly Mini Cookbooks is......

~~~ Donna-FFW ~~~

Congratulations!!! The dish you described, Blueberry and Peach Summer Torte, using local produce sounds delish and also, to me, a typically American dessert! (ant that's a good compliment by the way!).
Donna can you please email me your postal address? PS Can I have the recipe too?? Pretty please?

LellyJ - I have to say as tempting as muttonbird sounds (NOT!!!) I loved your comment!! I definitely had a giggle!! And Katy the wine would be very tempting.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to leave a comment....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 comments:

Katy said...

Looks yummy, and I love all the vegies you chose.

Chef E said...

I like this stew...I am adding it to my list of things to make...

Donna-FFW said...

I am so excited to have won. Thank you Thank you Thank you, and I will post the recipe soon as I am making it this weekend. :)

BTW, your dish is superb as always!