Our latest feast

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Noels Homemade Sausage Rolls

Another dish we don't cook a lot of due to the fact that they are very morish, unresistable and overall just too yummy is homemade sausage rolls. Shop bought sausage rolls have nothing on these little gems - especially as Noel did all the hard work not me!!

The best thing about making sausage rolls from scratch is that you get to invent the flavour.... and with any invention the potential is endless.

Perfect for either a party or a snack - they never fail to please.



Noel's Homemade Sausage Rolls




Makes approx 64 rolls
Points per serve - danger beware

500g pork mince
500g sausage mince
1 onion, finely chopped
1 zucchini, grated
1 1/2 cups finely grated parmensan cheese
1 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons mango chutney
6 tablespoons tomato paste
4 tablespoons barbecue sauce
salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried sage
1 tablespoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1 tablespoon dried basil
2 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
2 eggs, beaten
8 sheets premade puff pastry, frozen 24cm x 24cm square


Preheat oven to 180 deg C.

In a large bowl mix all the ingredients besides the egg and pastry, ensuring it is thoroughly mixed together.

Defrost pastry sheets and cut in half.

Roll mince mixture into a sausage formed roll long enough to fit the pastry. Wet hands to stop mince mixture from sticking during this process. Place mince mixture on the pastry, brush with egg and roll to enclose. Cut into 4 pieces (or more if desired). Repeat with remainder of mixture.

Place on a lined oven tray and brush with remainding egg. Cook for 40 - 50 minutes or until cooked through.

7 comments:

Chef E said...

These sound good, and I have not eaten breakfast, so I would take two please! I used to buy something similar in a Polish area on the way out of town, they called them chubbies, but they were not good homemade like this!

Creative Classroom Core said...

Nice work! They look they came straight from the bakery! :)

Sunny said...

Such memories! My Mum made the most yummy sausage rolls, I think her secret was in the pastry.
Thanks for sharing.
Sunny :)

Denise said...

I love these, they are perfect finger food for any party.

Lara said...

What a tasty looking meal. I love the BBQ sauce and sausage combination.

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Chef E sent me over and I'm loving it. I think this is some I so could make, but I agree could be dangerous I might eat them all :).

Love all the recipes thanks for sharing :)

Arlene Delloro said...

Interesting flavor combination. They look pretty, too!