Our latest feast

Monday, July 27, 2009

Corn Dogs

Whilst I know that I should not have even contemplated cooking these, let alone actually proceeding to cook them, I have to confess the idea of doing so has been in my mind for several months. Ever since I saw them premade and frozen in a shop not far from home. In between then and now I also noticed that another foodie blogger, Carmen at Chubba Girl, posted her take on Corny Dogs which also gave me the nudge to make them!!

To be honest these are something that I have treated myself to if I am at the Melbourne Show, Luna Park or market. Just as I thought they were quite easy to assemble and cook but although nice not the same as buying or eating them in a carnival atmosphere!

Although, like me, the kids liked them these are not a regular item on our menu I have to mention and nor will they be, especially considering we are trying to lose weight.... hahaha




Corn Dogs

Serves: 8

1 cup milk
2 medium eggs 1/4 cup oil
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/3 cups polenta or corn meal
2/3 cup plain flour
8 skinless hot dogs
flour for dusting
oil for frying
8 wooden skewers
In a large bowl combine the milk, eggs, oil, sugar and salt. Mix it very well. Sprinkle in the baking powder, corn meal and flour. Stir it all up to make a slightly thick batter.

Dust the hot dogs with flour, coating them completely. Thread the hot dogs on the skewers as straight as possible.

Meanwhile heat oil until very hot (a bread cube should sizzle when added).

Coat hot dogs by swirling them in the bowl of batter until they are coated, hold for 30 seconds or so over the batter allowing for any excess batter to drip off. Carefully place into the hot oil. Turn the corn dogs when the bottom side is well browned. Using tongs carefully remove the cooked corn dogs from the oil and allow them to drain on paper towels. Repeat the process, coating and frying a few at a time, until all of the corn dogs are cooked.

(click here for a printable version of this recipe)

4 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

This is one of those things I keep meaning to try for my kids and I keep forgetting, I have got to get to it, bet theyd love these! Fun factor also!

Lara said...

I've never made corn dogs from scratch before, but the once a year or so I buy them frozen for a quick convenience meal my kids think I'm the nicest mom in the world. Your fresh made ones look WAY better than store bought ones.

Chef E said...

I have been craving fried anything lately...partially from a conversation with family, but these look and sound like something I should make...

teresa said...

Oh I've been wanting to try these too, they look awesome!