Our latest feast

Thursday, July 16, 2009

"Cheats" Steamed Asian Greens

I love going to Chinese Restaurants and ordering the Asian Greens, in fact I can normally eat a plate of those and be satisfied. But to be honest I don't really have the time to put into the steaming, wok tossing or grilling that is required for some traditional recipes no matter how much I love the dish's flavour.

Don't get me wrong, I have made these the authentic way but for time and ease this, I believe is the next best thing!

You can also be adventurous with the types of vegetables and with the dressing, I use the kecap manis as I like the sweetness against the vegetables, and you could even sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, etc.

So last night, we had Hoisin Braised Pork Chops, steamed rice and my version of Steamed Asian Greens.


Steamed Asian Greens
Serves: 4
Points per serve: 1
4 small baby bok choy
1 bunch broccolini
4 tablespoons kecap manis

Trim broccolini stalks. Rinse bok choy and cut in half lengthwise.

STOVE TOP: Place steamer of a saucepan of boiling water. Add broccolini, cover and steam for 3 - 4 minutes or until almost tender. Remove lid and add bok choy. Replace lid and steam for a further 2 - 3 minutes or until bok choy is almost tender and wilted. DO NOT OVER STEAM.

MICROWAVE: In a large casserole dish with a few tablespoons of water. Add broccolini, cover with cling film and cook on high heat for 4 - 5 minutes or until almost tender. Carefully remove cling film and add bok choy. Replace cling film and cook on high for another 3 - 4 minutes or until bok choy is almost tender and wilted. DO NOT OVER COOK.

Remove to a serving platter and drizzle with kecap manis.

(Click here for a printable version of this recipe)

3 comments:

Chef E said...

I have an Asian restaurant near me that if I ask they will bring me a plate of sauteed greens that only a native would know to ask for...they are to die for...I cannot get enough greens!

Creative Classroom Core said...

Yum! Great way to use those veggies!

Donna-FFW said...

Oh this sounds wonderful!