Our latest feast

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Marinated Steak with Mash

If you want a quick, tasty mid week meal this may as well be it.
The marinade for this steak is slightly sweet, slightly asian but all the right qualities for a marinade, to the point that no other sauce is needed on or with your steak.

I have to apologize for the very busy and messy photo. Sorry - not very professional of me I must say ... but I was so hungry that I cut into my steak and then realised that I hadn't taken a picture of it but at least you can see that I am having my vegetable intake, serving it here with the mash, carrots, chargrilled capsicum slices, roasted baby vine-ripened tomatoes and baby spinach leaves - must say I try and sneak baby spinach into a lot of my meals as I love it!!


Marinated Steak with Mash
(recipe source: WW Simply The Best 2005)

Serves: 4
Points per serve: 5.5

1 teaspoon ginger, grated
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons kecap manis
2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons tomato sauce
4 lean beef steaks (140g each)
4 medium potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
½ cup skim milk
2 teaspoons reduce fat butter
salt to taste

Combine the ginger, garlic, kecap manis, brown sugar and tomato sauce in a bowl. Add the steaks and marinade for 20 – 30 minutes.

Meanwhile steam, boil or microwave the potatoes until very tender. Drain and then mash together with the milk, butter and salt. Keep mash warm while you cook the steaks.

Heat a char-grill pan or frying pan or barbecue until hot. Spray with cooking spray. Remove the steak s from the marinade. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes on each side, brushing with excess marinade or until cooked to your liking.

Serve with the mash and salad or vegetables of your choice.

2 comments:

Arlene Delloro said...

You know something is good when you forget to snap a photo first.

teresa said...

What a lovely dinner!