Our latest feast

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Spicy Rice and Bacon Tomatoes

Well this is a creation I thought about and tried last night in order to participate in my first Royal Foodie Joust at the Left Over Queen Forums. If you get a chance, pop over there and have a look - some amazing dishes are always being posted. Some are so good it makes you just want to lick the computer screen for a taste test!! LOL!!

Okay so her I am - a little nervous here as this is my first entry! The reason I am nervous is purely due to what has been entered before mine have been incredible, leaving me thinking that I am definitely not in the same league as some of the participants but hey - you never know unless you try right? So I did!!
Oh and I have to say that I am quite exciting also to be part of the challenge too!

Spicy Rice and Bacon Tomatoes was a dish made using all three ingredients - rice, tomatoes and bacon. We had these as a side dish with t-bone steak last night but I would also be tempted to serve them as an entree.

We liked it - so I hope you do too.


Spicy Rice and Bacon Tomatoes

Serves: 8

8 large tomatoes
1 cup long grain rice
2 rashers bacon
2 spring onions (green onions)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes (or to taste)
salt
freshly ground black pepper
50g coarsley grated parmesan cheese

Wash tomatoes and dry. Remove stem and cut a large circle around the top of the tomato, remove circle and tomato centre leaving a hollow cavity (be careful not to cut into sides of tomato). Repeat with remaining tomatoes.

Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil, add rice. Cook for 8 - 10 minutes or until rice is cooked, drain.

Remove rind and visible fat from bacon and dice. Fry in a large non stick frying pan and cook until a little crispy and brown. Remove to a paper towel covered plate to drain excess fat. To the same pan add the olive oil and the spring onion. Cook for 1 - 2 minutes or until spring onions start to soften. Lower heat and return bacon to the pan. Stir for a further 1 - 2 minutes. Add the rice, oregano and chilli. Mix until well combined. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes.


Once rice mixture has almost cooled stir through the grated parmesan cheese until well combined.

Using a small spoon, fill the cavity of the tomato pressing down with each addition. Ensure that the cavity is overflowing slighty. Repeat with remaining tomatoes.


Place on a foil lined tray, spray topping with cooking spray. Cook in oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until heated through.

Serve immediately.

5 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

Jo--they sound terrific! LOVE the filling!

Thistlemoon said...

Great job with the ingredients for this month! Thanks so much for joining us! :)

teresa said...

These look terrific!

redkathy said...

I have yet to enter... I feel just like you do and maybe even a bit more nervous after seeing your entry. I can't even come close to this one I don't think. These look wonderful and I think you have no need to worry ;) Good Luck.

Elyse said...

Sounds like a fabulous first entry to me! Who doesn't love a little bacon added to her tomatoes and rice?! I bet you'll do fantastically in the joust. Love your blog; can't wait to keep reading more!