Our latest feast

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

American Style Lamb Ribs

Last night we had Nasi Goreng for dinner, so no new recipe to post on this blog as I have already blogged that dish before. However I will say, as usual, the Nasi Goreng was delicious, didn't fail to impress the tastebuds and more importantly easy and quick to make! And we all know that easy and quick are the best part of the recipe instructions when it comes to cooking especially in my case where last night my plans went haywire.

I do however want to share another recipe with you, if I may?

I cannot take credit for this recipe at all as this recipe belongs to Noel, who is fast becoming the "master rib cooker" in the house!! These ribs (this recipe) are what he made for his 40th birthday party back in April and went down a treat. As proof of their success they were devoured that quickly it was obvious he just didn't cook enough!

As I mentioned Noel has become the master chef in our house when it comes to cooking ribs. Infact I think he has somewhat challenged himself to make them better each time. In the beginning he was experimenting with pork ribs but is now also cooking lamb ribs or riblets as they are often called.

Noel boils the ribs prior to marinating them as this removes excess fat/oil from the cooking process and therefore removes some of the "grease" and the "richness" that puts some people off eating ribs. I have read many recipes, especially asian, that calls for the ribs to be boiled prior to using in a recipe and I think this actually also assists in tenderising them also.

I am not quite sure where Noel got this recipe from. I suppose, if asked, he could say that he found this recipe on the "back of his forehead"!! LOL!! Unconventionally Noel often makes a lot of his dishes from scratch which are more often hit rather than miss and to his credit the majority of the flavours that he does create are wonderful!! He never fails to amaze me or others who are lucky enough to experience his cooking.

Getting another recipe from Noel in my books is an honour for me - so thank you my darlin'.



American Style Lamb Ribs
recipe source - noel


Serves 4 as a main
or 8 as an entree


Points per serve: main: 9
or entree: 4.5
1 kilogram lamb ribs
1 tablespoon oil
1 onion, finely diced
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1/3 cup tomato Ketchup
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 teapsoon mustard
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

Bring a large saucepan filled with water to boil and add the lamb ribs. Boil for approximately 10 - 15 minutes. Drain and leave to one side.

In a frying pan add oil and cook onions until soft. Add all remainder of ingredients, bring to a boil and simmer over a low heat for 20 minutes or until sauce has thickened.

Meanwhile preheat oven to 150 deg C.

Once sauce has thickened add ribs tossing to ensure that all the ribs are covered in the sauce. Place ribs in a baking dish (or foil trays) and cook in oven for 3 - 4 hours or until ribs are tender and easy to remove from the bone.
Serve immediately - enjoy!!
~ ~ o 0 O 0 o ~ ~

WW Note: To be honest and although I have put a WW points value against these ribs I have also labelled this recipe as a WW "Danger Beware". The points value I have allocated is definately only a rough guess due to the fat content of the lamb ribs prior to boiling and how much it is reduced after cooking is something I alone cannot work out. My only advice, especially after eating these myself, is that you do not have these as a regular meal on your diet plan. I say this not only because of the guesstimated points value I have allocated but because they are very morish and you could easily eat the whole lot without realising it! Hence the warning!

No comments: